Sonia Delaunay  (born Sarah Ilinitchna Stern) was the french artist who initiated the Orphism art movement. Orphism can be described by its noted geometry and strong color blocking utilizing bold shades. She was the first living woman to hold a solo retrospective at the Louvre, which took place in 1964, and in 1975 she was initiated as an officer of the French Legion of Honor. She was a thoroughly modern woman, even marrying a gay man, to escape being brought back to Russia by her family; a choice that would ultimately lead to her connections in the art world. It pays to keep some homos around ;-). Her work transcends many genres but I had wanted to share her clothing and costumes.

During the Russian revolution, Sonia turned to selling clothes and costumes for the stage for her income. It was during this period that these clothes were from. I really want the top that is a pile of triangles in reds orange, blue greens and black.

Sonia died December 5, 1979, at the age of 95.

I would do Anything for that matching jacket/dress/Citroen combo. I am so jealous.....

1 Response to "Sonia Delaunay"

  1. thank you very müch ( french accent ) I am art teacher and I am collecting informations about this great artist multi artiste devrais je dire...I like pictures you have posted with your text. some of these images are no often seen on web. I would like to remark that you write she has been married with a gay man. I think you would have precise it was with Wihlem Udhe, a modern gentleman, who married with sonia so that she could obtain French nationality. Sorry for my broken english.

Post a Comment