"I like to design to be semantically correct, syntactically consistent, and pragmatically understandable," said Massimo Vignelli. Massimo Vignelli is an architect-designer known for his graphic design, including the 1966–70 subway map and sign system for the New York Metropolitan Transit Authority.  The most successful product designed by Vignelli and Associates, Heller Dinnerware was an instant classic. The most compelling part about the set is its ability to stack. All pieces are made in standardized sizes so that they all nest together and stack neatly. Part of the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art New York.  The set of dinnerware won the Compasso d’Oro award for good design in 1964.

I have painstakingly collected this set piece by piece over the last few years since I moved to California. With each new piece found I was one step closer to my goal of an eight piece serving. I have finally amassed an 8 piece serving set, but want to develop my collection of white pieces so that I have a serving for four in white, and develop my color collection so that I have a full serving for 8 in all colors totaling a serving for 12. I am very happy for now though, and want to have a dinner party soon to use the set.

Crow is a reproduction of an original owned by Charles and Ray Eames, and manufactured by Vitra.
Dining chairs by Arne Jacobsen for Fritz Hansen, manufactured by Fritz Hansen for Knoll Studio

All photos © Douglas Cain 2010.

1 Response to "Finished - 8 Piece Vintage Massimo Vignelli for Heller MAX Dinnerware Set."

  1. Superbly written article, if only all bloggers offered the same content as you, the internet would be a far better place.. Porcelain Dinnerware Set

Post a Comment